Author Topic: A medieval battle  (Read 16619 times)

AndrewL

A medieval battle
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:51:21 pm »
Dear All,

I fought a couple of battles with my armies of customised medieval troops last summer, but I have only now gotten around to posting some pictures of the action.

The following battle is not meant to represent any actual medieval battle -- just a clash between two sides I dubbed (for convenience's sake) the 'Allies' and the 'Imperials'. The Imperials (numbering 160 men) are mostly those bearing lion or eagle blazons; the Allies (numbering 170) are various other groups.

So, to begin with, a couple of pictures of the battlefield, first looking towards the Allies, then towards the Imperials. You can tell from the fact that many of them are still stuffed in plastic bags that the battle hasn't really begun yet  ;)

AndrewL

Re: A medieval battle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:52:20 pm »
Now the armies have deployed. First a view of the Allies, then the Imperials.

AndrewL

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:54:25 pm »
The two sides advance slowly. The Allies are on the left of the first shot, the Imperials on the right. The second shot is a view over the Allies towards the oncoming Imperial forces.

AndrewL

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:56:20 pm »
A couple of Klicky's-eye views of the advance: mercenary pikemen and swordsmen in the pay of the Allies, then some Imperial cavalry and, in the distance, crossbowmen and halberdiers.

AndrewL

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 02:57:44 pm »
And now the first, impetuous charge of Imperial horsemen goes forward. They hope to catch the Allies off guard...

AndrewL

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 02:59:40 pm »
But the Imperials didn't reckon with the body of longbowmen the Allies situated in the boggy ground near the centre of their line. The rapid shooting of the longbowmen has an immediate effect...

Richard

• Administrator
  • Florida FLL, USVI STT, VIBC YWH
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 04:33:07 pm »

Andrew, I have really enjoyed seeing the posts of your individual groups. But, to see them together, as opposing armies, is quite impressive!

Thank you for sharing!

All the best,
Richard

AndrewL

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 04:49:23 pm »

Andrew, I have really enjoyed seeing the posts of your individual groups. But, to see them together, as opposing armies, is quite impressive!

Thank you for sharing!

All the best,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Many thanks -- I'm glad you like them. But the battle is only getting started...  :o

(Had to pop out to go grocery shopping. Otherwise there would be no dinner tonight!)

Cheers,

AndrewL

AndrewL

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:53:24 pm »
So, (after a brief hiatus) back to the battle...

The initial Imperial charge is broken up with significant casualties, including (as shown in the second pic) the leader of the Imperial faction in the centre of their line. This will have a serious (and deleterious) effect on their morale.

AndrewL

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »
The men whose leader was killed are thrown into confusion and mill about, not knowing whether to continue the attack or retreat. The rest of the first wave of Imperial horsemen try to continue forward in a valiant, or perhaps foolhardy, attempt to make a dent on the Allies' line.

AndrewL

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 04:59:37 pm »
Meanwhile, on the right of the Allied line (the Imperial left), the first attack of Allied cavalry gathers speed as the knights move toward the Imperial left wing.

AndrewL

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 05:02:31 pm »
On the other flank (Allied left/Imperial right), there is an exchange of bolts from two opposing bodies of crossbowmen (Imperial, then Allied).

AndrewL

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 05:03:55 pm »
Here a couple of views of the situation from the point of view of a mounted Klicky: first from the Allies, then the Imperials.

AndrewL

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 05:05:53 pm »
The banner-bearer of the men whose leader was shot down by the Allied longbows tries desperately to rally his men, as the first serious clashes ring out as the two armies come into contact in earnest.

AndrewL

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 05:06:52 pm »
The melee as battle is joined is chaotic...