Author Topic: Greetings from Portsmouth, UK  (Read 3170 times)

AndrewL

Greetings from Portsmouth, UK
« on: July 22, 2009, 08:39:45 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum, and so here I am to introduce myself.

Like many (I suspect) on the forum, I was given various Playmobil sets as a child (knights, pirates, cowboys, firemen), but then 'outgrew' them eventually. I do still have some of them (late-'70s, early-80s, all with fixed hands), but they are hiding in a box in the closet. I have also been into toy soldiers since childhood: I inherited a set of hand-made and painted lead soldiers my father and his brothers had made as children in the 1940s (yes, children casting lead on their own--how times have changed!).

I got back into Playmobil about 4 years ago. My then girlfriend (now wife  ;D) got me a 3666 castle off Ebay for my birthday, and now there's no turning back. I was living in Germany, but for most of the time I was there, didn't acquire very much Playmobil. The reasons are pretty typical: little space and even less money. I do kick myself, though, occasionally, when I think of how many different 'Germany-only' sets I missed acquiring. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm now well into collecting and customising. I focus exclusively on the medieval period, and I take a purist approach: only original, unmodified parts and accessories. Unfortunately, the issues of money and space are still present, but happily not as much as they were when I was in Germany.

As soon as I sort out how to post pictures, I'll try sharing some of my customs, as well as pictures of a battle I just fought.

And to finish: seeing pictures and hearing about the efforts of other folks on the forum doing customs, wargames and photos has been really inspiring. It's amazing what can be done bits of colourful, precision-molded, smiling plastic!

Cheers,

AndrewL

Justindo

Re: Greetings from Portsmouth, UK
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:21:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum! 

I'm from the USA  and my story is similar to yours in some respects.  Now I've acquired, according to my wife, too many Romans, Knights, Pirates, and soon Egyptians, and am running out of space!

Richard

• Administrator
  • Florida FLL, USVI STT, VIBC YWH
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 04:51:33 pm »

Hello, Andrew ...  ...

A BIG welcome from the United States Virgin Islands!

I enjoyed looking at your photos of your medieval army. (Don't worry ... the "photos" section is fine. We're not very picky about things here) ... ;)

If I remember correctly, it's just a bit less than 200 miles from Portsmouth to Nottingham. Your medieval groups reminded me of the Warhammer armies from the "other GW (which I happen to be very fond of) ... :)

We 're very happy that you joined us and look forward to seeing a lot of you and your collection.

All the best,
Richard

henry_martini

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:57:32 am »
Welcome!

You have an impressive collection yet.   :o

H_M

@ geobra: Thanks a lot!!! :-)

baden-wurttemberg

• Baden-Wurttemebrg Playmobil Store
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:13:55 am »
Welcome from texas Andrewl!!!

Baden  :)
Please also visit my eBay store! http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg?_rdc=1