Author Topic: Legio XII Cohors III  (Read 14783 times)

Argand

Legio XII Cohors III
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:45:48 am »
Legio Centurias

Prefectus detail

Auxilia with vexillum

More centurias

Legio & auxilia

Romers parade

To make this parade and simulate a cohors I have grouped the centuria groups with 20 legios, a signifer & a centurio, some tesseraurus, without optio, 6 legio centuria groups, 1 Auxilia vellitae group with vexillum and officer, 1 Auxilia group foederatti with vexillum and officer, 1 Auxilia sirian archer group, 1 sarmatian cavalry group with vexillum & officer, 1 auxilia equite cavalry with vexillum and officer, prefects, tribun, praetorian guard, legatus, cornicens... assault towers with scorpios and operators, onager & carrobalista

henry_martini

Re: Legio XII Cohors III
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:43:08 am »
fantastic arrangement :D

is it possible to build a testudo formation, too? you seem at least to have enough personal for that. ;)

again fantastic, thank you.
@ geobra: Thanks a lot!!! :-)

Richard

• Administrator
  • Florida FLL, USVI STT, VIBC YWH
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 04:31:30 pm »

A splendid Roman army, Argand!

Thank you for sharing your excellent photos with us.

All the best,
Richard

GaiusIulius

• strength and honor
    • http://www.team-sf.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 05:05:48 pm »
holy ..., thats an impressive army, A wonderful idea is the combination of ballists and assault towers  :)

Justindo

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 07:59:01 pm »
That's a magnificent cohort, Argand!  If my cohort comes out half as nice I'll be elated.  Did you have to purchase a number of battle towers to amass the auxiliary archers and infantry or were you able to purchase the figures separately?

Argand

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:00:39 pm »
Basically all figures are purchased in sets, except some legios whe are purchased from add-ons 7878 (3 legio) & 7880 (3 auxilia). Certain cavalry units are customized, also Tesseraurus, vexillum, cornicen, optio and certain auxilia for machinery

Argand

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:16:55 pm »
The structure suited is of the wargame "Siege of Jerusalem" from Avalon Hill

A legio is composed for 6 cavalry units, 30 legio, 3 archers, 9 vellitae, 6 foederatti, 3 assault towers, 1 ram, 4 catapults-scorpio, 1 catapult-onager, 1 catapult-ballista and headquarters. Contain a 4 x 3' terrain-city map, 4 legio, and 6 factions of judean armys and militias.

I have calculated a army with 180 legio, 54 vellitae, 36 foederatti, 18 archers, 36 cavalry units, 6-8 scorpio, a onager, optional carroballista, 4 towers and divers headquarters.

Reducting centuria units (x 1/2 to x 1/4) make possible to complet a aparent cohors

Leblanc d. II.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 05:11:01 pm »
It becomes time that I raise up an army of gauls. The arrogant
Romans :o in the forum need a lesson here. That crys after a second
Alesia and this time not the Romans will win.  ;)
Have fun with the "p"

GaiusIulius

• strength and honor
    • http://www.team-sf.com
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 07:54:03 pm »
The arrogant Romans :o in the forum need a lesson here.

Ill lead an army of Greeks and one elephant against them!!! I fear this wont be enough  :o

Timotheos

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 12:54:01 am »
To make this parade and simulate a cohors I have grouped the centuria groups with 20 legios, a signifer & a centurio, some tesseraurus, without optio, 6 legio centuria groups, 1 Auxilia vellitae group with vexillum and officer, 1 Auxilia group foederatti with vexillum and officer, 1 Auxilia sirian archer group, 1 sarmatian cavalry group with vexillum & officer, 1 auxilia equite cavalry with vexillum and officer, prefects, tribun, praetorian guard, legatus, cornicens... assault towers with scorpios and operators, onager & carrobalista

Hi these are fantastic!

I'm curious, though, why you would include the tessarius instead of the optio.  Wasn't the tessarius the sergeant of the watch and a sort of training NCO, whereas the optio was the centurion's second, and followed behind the men with a stick to whack anybody falling behind?

Justindo

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 04:47:27 am »

Hi these are fantastic!

I'm curious, though, why you would include the tessarius instead of the optio.  Wasn't the tessarius the sergeant of the watch and a sort of training NCO, whereas the optio was the centurion's second, and followed behind the men with a stick to whack anybody falling behind?

Tim raises a good point.  While the tessarius was an essential part of the century, so was the optio.  It seems odd to have the tessarius and not the optio.  I've elected to eliminate both, as in my 23 total men centuries, they're already "officer heavy" with the centurion, signifier, and cornicen.  By the way, generally both the tessarius and optio would be in the rear of the century making sure the men didn't flee.  The optio would also relay messages, perhaps from the general/legate/tribune to the centurion in the front line.  Of course the optio would always be ready to command the century in case the centurion fell, which makes his position in the rear logical.

cooster67

• http://lemondedecooster.over-blog.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 12:19:53 pm »
Very nice pictures  :)

cheng

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 03:51:38 am »
FANTASTIC (even tho i know very little about them) and your setting & photography makes it look like it was taken from part of a movie !  ;D