Author Topic: Interior of a Roman Barracks  (Read 4437 times)

Timotheos

Interior of a Roman Barracks
« on: April 12, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »
This is from my fortlet, and roughly based on "Roman Domestic Buildings" (edited by Ian Barton) and "Hadrian's Walls in the Days of the Romans" (Ronald Embleton / Frank Graham).

The barracks is almost too elaborate for a fortlet manned by auxiliaries, but illustrations in Barton's text show buildings like this could occur in fortlets, even if they were more common in legionnaire permanent camps.

Strengths:
1) Captured the Papilion / Armis / Iumentis division.
These are modern terms.  Papilion refers to the main sleeping room, originally the tent of the Roman contubernum (squad), but in permanent camps the sleeping chamber of the dorm room.  Armis refers to the foyer of the dorm room, when the soldiers kept their equipment.  Iumentis refers to the outside porch, where the soldiers kept their animals (mules, dogs, small livestock, who knows what else).   

2) Captured the shape of the centurion's dominant quarters, plus incorporated the dorm room of the principales (the signifier, tessarius, and optio) who had a barracks room similar to the lower ranks, but with the perk of the room only having to house three men instead of 6 to 8 (or more, if the barracks was overcrowded).

Weaknesses:
1) My armis is a little cramped.  In some barracks, the cooking occurred there.
2) The centurion's quarters is actually quite under scale--it could be as long as seven regular barracks rooms (though less fancy in a fortlet).

-Tim

Timotheos

Re: Interior of a Roman Barracks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:07:45 PM »
Here is the principales' (noncommissioned officers') dorm and the centurion's dorm.

Timotheos

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 06:08:34 PM »
Here is a bird's eye view.

Dan

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 09:51:35 AM »
They are really great!

Justindo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
Tim, you've been busy!

I'm very impressed with your creations.  I particularly like the detail in the rooms in terms of furniture and the centurion's "barbarian" female servant (wife?) which would be quite accurate.  The only thing I can think of is that there would probably eight bunk beds instead of six in the soldiers' rooms.

Pyrrhus

• Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 01:29:23 AM »
This is perfect :o congratulations