Author Topic: Flags  (Read 6666 times)

Pyrrhus

• Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca
Flags
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:08:49 pm »
Hi all.

I am interested in knowing if the flag used by the red soldiers in the pirate sets is British, if it belongs to other country (Spain?) or if it is just an invention.

Also, if at least some of the flags in the Medieval collections represent real country or feuds' flags, or if they are just fantastic.

Thanks and good luck.

Richard

• Administrator
  • Florida FLL, USVI STT, VIBC YWH
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Flags
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 04:07:29 am »

Good question, Pyrrhus ...

It will be interesting to read what everyone thinks about the historical representation of the various Playmobil flags ... Especially the flag used by the Harbour Guard from the Pirate Theme ...

see attachment

da Hugh

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 04:21:58 am »

Good question, Pyrrhus ...

It will be interesting to read what everyone thinks about the historical representation of the various Playmobil flags ... Especially the flag used by the Harbour Guard from the Pirate Theme ...

see attachment

I do not know about historical representation, but my guess is with the blue background and a representative Fleur de Luis (not sure of spelling), I assume it is of French style.  As for the flags in the Medieval collections, they are either historical or made-up.  They might be historical and really not represent the unit they are attached to.

As a wargamer, most gamers either use flags to represent the units or just use flags to game with, mostly with ACW and Napoleonics.  Most medieval flags in games are used to tell the gamers side from another.  Most liberties are with ACW flags.

My 2¢ worth...    da Hugh

Pyrrhus

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 03:44:01 pm »
Thank you very much for the insight, da Hugh...

Richard, I also thought the flag in 3112 "naval stronghold" (3288 in USA) is likely the icon of the French monarchy, and the French customes you attached, seem similar to those used in that same set. I am not sure they are French, but they seem to be most similar to the French than to anything else.

I am dubious about the flag in the set of red-jacketed soldiers 3054 "Harbour guard": the flag of my country (Argentina) has also two light blue strips and a white one in the middle: I heard its origin comes from French and Spanish Bourbon kings, who used a band with these three strips. I do not know if they were used in Great Britain.

The red troops seem likely British, but... ¿does somebody know of that flag in any British regiment?

Flash

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 05:51:54 pm »
i believe most flags in the playmobil world r made up in the sense that they represent a certain style that can be attributed to certain countries, for example the harbour guards r of a certain british style as are the colours of the flag.
the fleur-de-lis has always been a symbol of france and the "blue coats" in combination with that flag seem to confirm that theory.
both flags however have - at least to my knowledge - no exact historical reference.
as opposed to this, at least one early medieval crest is infact historical accurate.
interestingly enough the western sets all display the correct "stars and stripes", even the old cavalry uses a design which was used by the us cavalry.
also the "stadtwache" (townguard) sets all display the crest of nuremberg (nürnberg), which is the biggest town in the vicinity where playmobil is produced in germany.
my 2 pennies worth...  ;)
I left my love a letter in the hollar of a tree.
I told her she would find me in the U.S. Cavalry.
High, yo, down they go, there's no such word as can't.
We'll ride clean down to hell and back for Ulysses Simpson Grant.

Pyrrhus

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:49:57 pm »
Hi, Flash, thank you for the advice.

A further question: do you know if at least some of the Medieval flags belong to a German feud or city? The style is quite similar, although I do not know if there is some exact example.

I think some city flag may be represented in this old set of Renaissance-style German city mercenaries 3482).

Thank you very much in advance.
Pyrrhus.

Richard

• Administrator
  • Florida FLL, USVI STT, VIBC YWH
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:05:45 pm »

I think some city flag may be represented in this old set of Renaissance-style German city mercenaries 3482).

That is the Nürnberg Flag that Flash was telling you about.

see attachment

Pyrrhus

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 12:05:21 am »
Thanks, did not saw the link. :P
Indeed the shield is the same to that used by the guard.

I have saw some other sets with a flag much similar to a quadrant of that of Burgundy, though not at the same level of similarity than the Nuremberg's.

Flash

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:37:15 pm »
Hello again Pyrrhus!
The only crest and flag image that I know is 100% correct is indeed the nuremberg one. As i said earlier certain styles of playmobil flags and crests may be attributed to certain countries or part of those countries (as ur Burgundry example).
Other correct flag discriptions are - to my knowledge - the us flag of course and the confederate battle flag (although these are obviously from a different theme-world).   ;)
I left my love a letter in the hollar of a tree.
I told her she would find me in the U.S. Cavalry.
High, yo, down they go, there's no such word as can't.
We'll ride clean down to hell and back for Ulysses Simpson Grant.

Foulques

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 01:19:49 pm »
The black lion on yellow is especially the lion of Flandres county.
You have one other historically armory with the golden harpie on blue who are one other symobol of Nuremberg. You can see it on the museum and on the single knight at the end of 70's. I have made an article abour heraldry on playmofrance but not yet published  :(.

Pyrrhus

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 04:31:22 pm »
Thanks for the insight, Flash and Foulques. Foulques, please, post here the link to your article on heraldry, when it becomes published. It will be very interesting for me (I can read French with a bilingual dictionary).